Wednesday, December 07, 2005

going on

After almost a week of eating very little to nothing, and surviving on home made Oral Rehydration Salts (a cup of warm water with salt and sugar), I am back in good health thanks to divine intervention. Thanks also to "Healthy Travel - Africa", the Lonely Planet Guide that was presented to me for my birthday before I left for Africa, I was able to diagnose myself as having Giardiasis. It is not a pretty sickness! I am grateful it wasn't anything worse.

Today, I was able to eat well, do a weeks worth of laundry by hand, and avoid the throne. Amen.

On Tuesday, the 29th, there had been a regime change here in Waterloo. The two sisters were replaced by two others. Today, Brother Samuel will be transferred to Bo as well. I will be heading to Bo sometime next week. I could use the change.

When I mentioned to Shevo (Frank), the twelve year old neighbour who always "likes to keep my company", that Bro. Samuel and I will be leaving him, he began to cry. As Bro. Samuel was being driven away to Freetown, Frank who was behind his house ran up to the front chasing after the truck. He laid down right there on the street and began wailing. I just didn't know what to tell him. I resorted to giving him a bag of biscuits to appease him. Both he and Michael, another young boy who lives in the same house, ask me not to leave. "You know we like to keep your company" they say, "Why do you want to go? Who will play Hangman with us now?" A week before, when I taught them the game, Michael wanted to skip school for the day and play the game with me. Naturally, his father did not approve of the idea.

I will miss many of the folks I have befriended here in Waterloo. Many times when I walk down the streets, I am greeted by people I don't even recognize. They know me by name, and ask how I am doing, how my health is, and how am I enjoying Waterloo.

I am told that I will be taking public transportation to Bo, and so I will once again have to consolidate my luggage. I have resorted to giving away some of my clothes - though I only came with a handful. I will have to distribute what I have left among Bo, and Shenge - if I get to visit Shenge.

I am awaiting the status of another barrel that is on its way. My parents were allotted just a little bit of room in a barrel that another brother was sending. My mother says she has packed some home made Indian snacks, and some more pickles. This should be good. Makes me even more grateful that I am free of the Giardia Lamblia parasite. I have lot a bit of weight as a result of the sickness. I am sure I'll regain it - if not here, at Bangkok House in Times Square.

3 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you Ben. Know that God is in control. Don't drink too much water now. Be safe!

 
At 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love the Bangkok House! Come home ben!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger bthomas24 said...

Your prayers are answered Frank.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home