Thursday, October 13, 2005

lost in translation

As of Monday, work has begun at the site. Being involved in a construction project from ground up is rather interesting and a bit confusing being that I know nothing about the subject. Looking at the architectural drawings, we have begun measuring out the profile of the buildings, and putting up profile boards. We then ran into a bit of trouble with the orientation of the structures. According to the drawings, which were done by an architect in Australia, the orientation of the structure, viewed from the "Project Center Line" creates a scenario where much digging and filling must take place before the building can be leveled (as the structures are to be built on a hill). The local engineer we employed, feels that by shifting the center line, and rotating the entire structural plan a few degrees, there will be a significant reduction in digging and filling.

This morning, Nancy came by almost in tears. The baby is sick; they took the baby to the doctor, and paid for the visit with the money I had given Thomas. The doctor prescribed a list of medications for the child, and the family cannot afford these medications. Nancy cannot speak to me in English so I directed her to Bro. Paul. In Krio, she explained the situation and said she had come to us for help because "Uncle Benjamin" had been helping them. Bro. Paul explained to her that I am a stranger and that I don't have much money and that I had helped with whatever little I had and that there was no way that we could help pay for the medication.

I would love to help, but I feel that my helping will not make their lives any better, and that if I continue, then they will continue to come to me for any financial help they need. I still felt bad and wanted to explain to her how faith works, and encourage her not to feel bad or offended that we could not help. I visited the family this evening with Bro. Samuel and we read to her from Acts 3:1-10, and explained that God is able to take care of her family and that she should turn to God for help and not run to the doctors. We wanted to instill some level of faith in her, and encouraged her to cook a good meal for the child and pray for his healing. "Take no thought for tomorrow" we explained. Bro. Samuel also shared to her in Krio my personal testimonies of healing, and how God raised me up from my death bed several times, and that for 28 years, I had not depended on doctors or medicine for healing. We hope that she will be encouraged and are sure that our prayers will heal the child.

We ran into another girl who had been in an accident several years ago in which a truck ran over her left leg. From knee down, the bones had been crushed, and they literally had to pick up the pieces. She said she had tried going to church, she tried prayer, for years she has not seen an improvement in her leg, and has finally given up on church and God. She explained that she has not set foot in a church for years though she used to be a choir leader at one time. Upon seeing us, she promised that she will come to church this Sunday (we did not ask her to come. She decided on her own). She said she is ready to give Him another try. Keep her in your prayers.

Here is an interesting translation: In referring to the touch-me-not shrub, the Krio name for the plant is "Lok yu lapa, yu man de kam". A lapa is a wrap or a loose cloth worn by women around the waist like a skirt. The literal translation is "Close up your wrap, your husband has come home."

I am also told there is a tiny animal here whose name I did not quite get as it is in Temne. The literal translation in English is "I will never die alone." When this animal is caught in a trap, it lays quietly in wait until another animal walks by (be it a monkey, snake, dog, or chicken). It then grabs a hold of the animal. Once in its hold, the animal locked in and shares the same fate as that of the animal caught in the trap. The passing animal will die if it struggles too much, or they will both be caught by the person who set the trap.

The folks living on the hill at the construction site have sighted three large black snakes and have set traps to capture them. They leave several hard boiled eggs outside for the snake to swallow. The snake will not be able to break these eggs as it can with normal eggs when it stretches after swallowing its meal. Too full, it becomes slothful and will fall asleep right where the trap was set. It can then be captured and killed. Makes a good meal I am told. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home