Sunday, September 25, 2005

edumacation

Not much going on here for now. Most public and private schools re-opened two weeks ago. Going into town on Mondays (last week, I was in town Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday) I see brave young boys and timid girls in their uniforms, packed tightly in poda-podas, or criss-crossing through city traffic with their book bags strapped to their back. I was reminded of a time when I had to wear a uniform and walk to school in a similar setting. It was a convent school in Bangalore, India. My mother tells me of her hardships when she wanted to enroll me into Cluny Convent. I was refused admittance, and she stood outside the principle's office in tears all day until a family friend who was passing by intervened on our behalf. While the students I see here look clean and fresh in their uniforms, I have a different story to tell about myself. My mother would wash my white uniform with "Robin Blue" so it would turn out a brilliant white. She would then polish my white canvas shoes, and send me off to school looking rather smart. En route, I would run through every puddle I came across. By the time I arrived at school, and lined up for inspection before the morning parade, I was dingy. One day, and I clearly remember this, and I am sure my sister will be first to chuckle, as punishment, the teacher plastered a note to my back that read "I am a dirty child." She then took off my canvas shoes, hung them around my neck and asked me to vist every classroom in the school. My sister and her friends had quite a laugh when I paraded into one of her classrooms. I cannot remember a day when I did not get good swats from each of my teachers. The kids here seem to be much more decent than I was. There's dignity and pride in getting a good education, and it shows in their character.

The church School resumes tomorrow, and over the weekend, I had been sorting out little presentation packets for each of the kids. There's a pencil case with a pencil, pencil sharpner, a multi-colored shuttle pen, a small notepad, two Bazookas and two peppermint candies. I was able to print out labels with each student's name, and affix these labels to the notepad. There are also sets of 12 color pencils that can be given out to the younger kids. For help with phonics, my mother had sent my niece's "Leap Frog Fridge Phonics." I have exhausted the majority of my gifts for now. I pray that these small gifts will make these 56 students happy, and will start off the year on an inspiring note.

I had long finished reading "Through Gates of Splendor," and have been reading "Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the Third Crusade," by James Reston Jr. It was a parting gift from my Egyptian co-worker Jimmy. It's quite an interesting story so far. English and French monarchs had a colourful history and it's amusing. I am impressed by Saladin's character. His virtues far outweigh that of the "Christian" rulers. It's a shame! "From Beirut to Jerusalem" is next on the list and was recommended by John.

Happy Birthday Rooha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home