Wednesday, September 14, 2005

everything's a blaze

Well I've been stuck indoors all day. Yesterday was a rough day. Bro. Emannuel and I went up to the construction site to continue clearing the bushes. Working with the cutlass for hours really does a job on the muscles. Then, it began to pour with no warning. It just all came down in buckets. I wasn't planning on working in the rain but I was already soaked and didn't want to get lazy as I was on a roll. My body ached all night and the boards under the bed fell from the tossing. My throat and chest hurt from coughing and congestion. I've been drinking liters of tea to ease the pain in my throat. I could barely wake up in the morning but I managed to wake up for morning praises at 5 AM. Went back to bed and woke up at 7:30 for breakfast which was macaroni and spaghetti cooked with slices of fried fish. After prayers at 8:30, I went back to bed again and that was it. I woke up only at 2 PM. Had lunch and walked about inside the house just to keep the blood flowing. At 7 PM I went out to the veranda to watch the bats.

The clouds were illuminated a mellow orange making the coconut trees appear in a silhouette. Early mornings, and evenings are an absolute spectacle. I couldn't do much more but rest and since I had enough with the boards on the bed, I decided to fix it. All is well now.


Monday was entirely a light show. It began with a blaze I witnessed in Freetown. A vending shack caught on fire and was completely ablaze. The flames were spreading and I saw a woman running to her car that was parked next to the shack. I inquired about the fire houses and wondered if they didn't dispatch anyone to come put out the fire. I have seen a fire house here and I have seen the men doing drills, but apparently it's all mostly a show. They show up when the flames have died down to embers and pour water on the site. They then collect money for the appearance. It's what I am told. I am not entirely sure if that's really what happens. It's a bit hard to believe if it is indeed real.

Thunder rolled mid-afternoon but there was no rain. Around 6:30 PM, it looked like it was going to rain. Since I went into town with Bro. John, one person had to stay in the back of the pickup truck. I felt bad as it was an older brother. I volunteered to stay in the back, but he said it was alright. I prayed that it would not rain till we dropped the men off. God did one better and the rain came down as soon as we got home from dropping the rest of them off. During the entire trip home, there was a spectacular lightning storm. The entire sky is illuminated like a sports arena.

It was a very long day and we were stuck in traffic for three hours as a result of pure arrogance on the part of taxi drivers. They really don't understand the concept of waiting and allowing the traffic to flow. They jump into traffic and are deadlocked. They remind me of the Lemmings game I used to play. Though we were frustrated, we laughed at the situation and vowed to take the back roads back home. The back roads are undeveloped, muddy, full of potholes, and is usually undertaken at slow a speed. It still works out faster that the paved roads.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home