Saturday, September 03, 2005

the daily news

I have finished reading "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn," and have begun reading Elisabeth Elliot's "Through Gates of Splendor." I am already very much encouraged after reading just two chapters of the book. I have decided that mine is a problem of the heart and mind.

I am a perfect mixture of the following two quotes:

Katie, in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" responds to a question by Francie; "I don't know. I don't know anything, really. I just feel. And when the feeling is strong enough, then I just say I know. But I don't."

At other times, I feel as Jim Elliot does as Elisabeth Elliot quotes from his diary; "How do I know it is His counsel? 'Yea, my heart instructeth me in the night seasons.' Oh how good! For I have known my heart is speaking to me for God!... No visions, no voices, but the counsel of a heart which desires God."

And still at other times, I am quick to take sides, and empathize often not thinking past the situation presently before me.

I had a half-minded conversation with Bro. Kelvin in vague terms about things that bothered me, and even through that, many things were cleared up. I feel a bit more focused now, and some of the verses that I recently came across have been encouraging.

I still need prayer.

I, along with the other four have begun a revolt against the stray dogs that think we are responsible for keeping their bathroom clean everyday. Every morning, and evening, we find ourselves shoveling dog excrement from the back and sides of the house. We're fed up! Each time we see a dog passing through our yard, we pelt him or her (and SHE really is the one we're after as she is very evil and always manages to do her business clear in our path) with a large stone. We feel that several such peltings will re-condition them. Good old Pavlov! Bell equals food, squatting in backyard equals a broken rib.

At night, I fall asleep to the howling of these possessed dogs - even though I've turned up the volume on my "diskman" (It's what the Sierra Leoneans call a cd-player). They are peaceful all throughout the day, and at night, they're vicious, and howl and fight amongst themselves. In the morning, they're bruised and bleeding. I am woken up at 4:50 AM by either Bro. Kelvin, or the cocks crowing of the alarm on my mobile phone. After morning praises which lasts an hour, I head back to bed to fall asleep to chants of "Allah Oh Akbar!" coming from the Hera mosque on the other side of the street.

I have heard no news about my barrel and I have packed several more books that I wanted to read in the barrel. The way I am going, I'll finish reading this book in three days (traditionally, I am a VERY slow reader and only recently did I adopt the habit of reading). All this free time only lasts till the work in Freetown is completed and Bro. John returns to Waterloo. Then I'll be at the site all day. I have been surviving on four smart shirts and two smart pants. I've been hand washing them, and ironing them with a coal iron (kol gus). I've been surviving pretty well so far by the grace of God.

World Cup fever is on, and everywhere, you can hear the BBC commentators on the radio. Today, England is playing Wales in the Qualifier games, and so far, it's England 1, Wales 0. Every so often, I hear, and I am tired of hearing it already, "Tu-tu Party" by the artist named Emerson whose album is titled "Bobo bele". It is currently the top track in Sierra Leone.

Across the street, little Peter who must be four years old runs outdoors in his birthday suit every so often and yells "White man!" and waves at me. Little Peter is a funny lad. His mannerisms are very manly though he's only about 3 feet high, and has a bobo bele. He knows everyone in the neighborhood and calls to them as they pass by. He flashes a devious smile as he waves at me and runs back indoors.


I keep hearing that if I can survive in Africa, I can survive anywhere. But I hear that about New York as well. Does that mean that if I can survive Africa and New York, I am good for any corner of the world? By His grace.

It's almost time to break the fast, shower, and get ready for church. Speaking of showers, I have a confession. I like to shower at night before I head to bed. Most days, it's warm outside and my body is heated up and it's nice to take a cold shower. It's the only kind of shower you can take here. Unless you heat up your water - which will take long on the coal stoves. Some nights, it's cold outside and I really don't feel like a cold shower. So on Wednesday, I skipped the shower. I was ready for it on Thursday but the generator ran out of fuel. I thought twice about a cold shower in the dark, and then decided I'd shower under the warm glow of a kerosene lantern. You really wanted to hear that!

On the streets, I see that many of the donations of clothes made in the West does indeed arrive in Africa. I saw a tee-shirt which read "Ivy Ridge Panthers", another from a McDonalds Playplace in Northlake, Illinois, yet others from family retreats like the "Johnson Family Retreat" held at Wisconsin, Ivy Ridge Baseball, and Ohio State Basketball Camp. Keep on donating. Hopefully, clean clothes that are not worn down. NGO's keep this country functioning. World Vision, AfriCare, Care International, Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders), and many, many more. Donate to such organizations as their work is invaluable in Africa. Adopt a child and see him through school. So many ways of helping. Think on these things and if you decide on a way of helping, let me know so I can be encouraged.

FOOD!!!!! I am off to eat!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home