Monday, August 01, 2005

let's make a trade

Another day of making and moving blocks. It rained incessently, but the work went on. I heard a few more confessions today that I just can't post up, but the situation here is a bit sad. Now I feel I should have gone to another place instead of Sierra Leone. Many times, religious, God fearing people really do need a lesson on suffering. From what I have observed, if suffering does not come naturally, it has to be induced. People never seem to enjoy the blessings of God, and heck, any sort of enjoyment might leave you out of Zion. It really is not the way for Christians to live life. I am sure that God never intended to make Christian life a life of suffering. Sure there may be valleys and mountains, but God will only give us what we're able to handle. Induced suffering, and oppressors are not promised gifts of the Spirit. If none of this makes sense, I can explain in person if you're interested. To clear any misunderstandings, I can honestly say that I am not suffering, but I wish I were. People around me are suffering for no cause, and it doesn't make me happy.

On to something else. We were wasting away the evening chatting on the veranda while a young girl from church, about 11 years of age visited us with a note in hand. She is the daughter of the woman (James' aunt) who will be immigrating to New York through the UNHCR program. The note read:

I was a bit choked up when I read it. As I had mentioned, families work all day just to be able to feed the family for the day. If they do not make enough money for the day, they just can't afford meals. I was moved to give her some money, and the church gave enough rice to feed them for three days.

Before I left New York to come to Sierra Leone, my cousin who is in high school, and works after school in a library to make some "spending money", decided to give me her entire paycheck of a little more than $200 for my cause. Grace, this little girl and her family were fed with just a small portion of your funds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home