Saturday, July 30, 2005

'feels like home to me'

We woke up early to go out to Kissi to the cement factory to buy some cement. While we left Bro. John to wait for the cement. Bro. Augustine, David, and I ran errands all day. I managed to get to an Internet cafe, and this time took my own laptop with me which proved to be significantly faster than the Pentium II 233MHz machines with 160MB of memory that the cafe uses. The guy tried to give me a hard time about using my own laptop and suggested that it would cost more as he would have to configure it. He quickly shutup when I asked him if they used DHCP in the cafe. Turned out they didn't use DHCP and he had to configure an IP address and Gateway, but didn't charge me anything extra.

David learned not buy two cartons of ice cream in a tropical country where there is barely any electricity. He ended up drinking most of it.

VOM? I pledge allegiance to BBC. I learned of the reduction of forces in Northern Ireland, the sad demise of VP John Guren of Southern Sudan. As if Sudan didn't have enough problems already, riots have now broken out in reaction to this death. They suspect foul play. Saudi's King Fahad passed away, and Korea announced that they have, with the help of American scientists, cloned a dog named Snoopy. Though I like the British accent, they just can't figure out how to say Snoopy. I heard Snuppy and Snopy being reported by different correspondents. I also listened to an interview with Carl something-or-the-other who is the scientist who discovered "the pill". Now he has plans of sorting out a way to seperate sex from reproduction, and reproduction from sex. Go figure! Apparently, this is to liberate women further. Well go on with yo bad selves now! The road continues to wind down.

As women are liberating themselves, I have been making breakfast and lunch for myself here in Waterloo. This is because of the freedom we have here. Temporary freedom from female leadership. For breakfast, I made myself an omelette complete with onions, peppers, and chopped ham. For lunch, I made a medium-well done double cheeseburger topped with grilled onions on a pan over a coal stove. Now that's liberation for an American in Salone (it's what the locals call Sierra Leone)! Of course this was strange food for the locals and they refused to be partakers in this cheeseburger meal, and enjoyed rice and potato leaves. Awk! The joy of being American. Now if only VOM stopped playing crappy hip-hop and reported some interesting things, this joy would be closer to complete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home