Monday, July 18, 2005

out & about

Went out with Bro. John Samuel to pre-paid SIM cards for our phones. Le9000 for 200 units. It takes 50 units per second to make an international call on Comium. They have several GSM networks here. CelTel, MilliCom, Comium, and AfriCell. Mobile phones are very popular and common here. I called home for 3 minutes, and checked my voice mail once, and my units were exhausted.

We then went to an Internet cafe on Wilburforce Rd. Le2000 for 30 minutes. Stayed on for an hour. They have several Internet cafes here, but only two that allow me to use my flash drive. I figured it would be easier for me to compose everything on my laptop at home, and take it with me on the flash drive.

We drove towards the Lumley beach area to buy sour yogurt and a journal for David. The drives seem so long as everyone drives about 20mph on the streets which are shared by oncoming traffic and vendors/pedestrians. It's just like India, minus the cows, elephants, goats, auto-rickshaws, and bicycles.

Bro. Godwill and I went out to the Wilburforce Barracks to visit the houses of random locals (witnessing). It is very interesting and refreshing to be able to walk into strangers houses, feel welcomed, and sit down for a chat. We greet and are greeted with a "Gud Ivnin, Aw di bodi", "Di bodi fayn". That's "Good Evening, how are you?" "I am fine". They then bring out wooden benches, or chairs for all of us to sit, and the conversation begins. We talk to them, ask them about their life, what their worries and problems are, and we encourage them, give them advice, and pray with them. Many times, when we walk into houses, people are walking around in their towels. Sometimes, in the middle of a conversation, the woman will pull out a breast and begin feeding their infant in front of the guests. This is normal, and is not frowned upon, or discouraged, nor does it cause any feeling of uneasiness to anyone. The conversation goes on as usual. OUt in the West, flesh is used as a means of seduction. Here, everything is out in the open, so lust and seduction is not prevelant as it is in the West. Of course this does happen here, but in different ways I guess. I have yet to see the dynamics of that.

While driving, you can see both men and women bathing together in a lake or stream. It's a very simple and open life here. People are indeed very sincere and tender-hearted.

These visits are usually undertaken by foot - even in the pouring rain. Today, it was raining in torrents. There are no street lights, and many of the roads are unpaved. Flashlights and umbrella are a necessity. I think July yields the highest levelsl of rainfall. Everything is soggy, wet, and smells moldy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home