Saturday, July 02, 2005

holy bazookas batman!!

For years now, I have had a desire to go out to Africa to volunteer in humanitarian/charitable/non-profit work. I had always been intrigued by the continent, it's countries, people, culture, and history. I have finally come to a point in my life where I can make such a trip. I feel there could never be a better time in my life to follow this path. I will be primarily in Sierra Leone for a year and if doors and opportunities open up, and finances allow me the opportunity, I will be traveling to Togo, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, and Tanzania. I doubt much of this travel is possible as I understand that travel within Africa can be very expensive. Unless a miracle happens, I have no income coming in for a year. I will be working with local churches, schools, and NGO's helping to teach children, or build facilities.

Sierra Leone, a small country in West Africa had been plagued by a decade long civil war which ended in 1999. I remember hearing reports in church about the troubles there. The fires set by rebels, the bullets landing in the compounds of churches, entire communities burned down to the ground. I never thought Sierra Leone would be a country I'd visit. God works in mysterious ways.

In preparing to make the trek to Africa, I spoke to others who had been there, several locals, teachers and friends. I was told that the children in Africa don't often get chewing gum. I was told that whenever someone visits, the kids love to get gum. I went out to Costco and purchased a boat load of Bazooka Joe gum for these kids.

Here is a history of Bazooka gum. It's interesting to note that the gum was named after a musical instrument. This name was then later given to the armor piercing weapon. Music, war, and politics...So much of this has been going on lately. The most prominent figure being Bono and his DATA organization, and The ONE Campaign, a coalition of organizations, artists, and prominent figures.
"It's an amazing thing to think that ours is the first generation in history that really can end extreme poverty, the kind that means a child dies for lack of food in its belly. This should be seen as the most incredible, historic opportunity but instead it's become a millstone around our necks. We let our own pathetic excuses about how it's 'difficult' justify our own inaction. Let's be honest. We have the science, the technology, and the wealth. What we don’t have is the will, and that's not a reason that history will accept." --Bono in an interview to the World Association of Newspapers for World Press Freedom Day on May 3, 2004.
Regrettably, I cannot be as effective as Bono in changing the world, but I can take small steps. Developing countries are not very fond of the West because of our over indulgence, and big bully attitude. I was advised to keep my American passport safely hidden while in Africa so as to evade unnecessary troubles. It's sad indeed. So here I go, Bazooka in hand, to show the dark continent some love. I will update you as often as I can. Keep me in your prayers folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home