Monday, July 04, 2005

getting it together

I've got a predicament. How on earth do you pack for a year? The airline Astraeus Airlines, a charter flight company that flies to Sierra Leone only allows ONE baggage of 25kg to be checked in, and one small carryon. They will not allow any wheeled baggages into the cabin.

I can ship some of the things but depending on how it's shipped, it could take 30 days, 6 weeks, or 2 months. The cheapest option for me would be to ship it along with the truck that the church is sending to Sierra Leone. This won't cost me anything, BUT this truck is already packed to the gills and it could take from 6 weeks to 2 months to arrive. I could buy a barrel for $20 or so, and ship the barrel for about $160. This option will get my vital necessities (mosquito repellents, soap, tooth
paste, etc) to me in 30 days.

The problem is, I only have a day and a half to pack all of this. Mom has organized a July 4th family get-together and a boat load of family will be over. By the time the rice and curry digests and the family filters out, it'll be about 10PM or so. Tomorrow, I'll have to sort out the packing for Africa, and for the Virginia convention as well. Though I'll be travelling to Africa on the 12th, I will be in Virginia from the 6th to the 10th. That leaves me the 11th to finalize packing. This is where I need an Optimization Research person. LIZ!!!!

If I were to pack tee shirts and shorts, I could make the Astraeus limit, but even in Africa, I'll have to wear long sleeves and pants to keep the mosquitoes from devouring me. Not to mention church attire.

....

Well the family gathering turned out pretty well. Quite a bit of heated arguments, support, forgiveness, resolution, food, dessert, and the grand finale - another very heated argument among "pastors". What love! I think I'll miss all this (sarcasm). The cousins, all of us got along just fine and resolved not to turn out like the adults. Thank God for the tiny bit of brilliance in the family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home