Tuesday, August 02, 2005

storytime

I had to pack up all my stuff to prepare to head back to Freetown. After packing, I walked to the construction site which is about 2 miles uphill, and began mixing and shoveling concrete to make blocks. It's a pretty good upper-back workout. I worked till about 2 PM and was asked to head back home. Teachers training begins on Wednesday and lasts till Friday.

BBC kept me up all night. I intended to sleep at 10:30 PM, but I was pulled into a BBC program about Iceland and how they are battling deforestation. It was quite interesting. You see, Iceland used to be a bit more green. When the Vikings arrived, they brought along their sheep. In Iceland, the sheep roam free. Sometimes, they come home, and sometimes they just don't. These sheep began grazing and multiplying, and soon much of the green was gone. So some clever folks came together to fix this problem. They purchased old World War II DC-3 bombers, and got commercial airline pilots to volunteer to fly these planes. The plan was to fly low, and bomb the land with fertilizers and seeds. (Now there's an idea for our next war. DC-3 bombers to bomb Iran or N. Korea with manure and fertilizer. We would be battling the greenhouse effect, and running terrorists out of their holes.) They even have machines to plant trees. Everyone is involved in making Iceland greener. They interviewed some civilians who planted a few thousand trees in a year. Imagine that! One person responsible for planting a forest.

I must have fallen asleep at around 1:30 AM.

While the cheerful Icelanders are saving their forests, I saved myself Le15,000 by getting my hair cut in-house. I remember the last time I tried this. I used to cut my own hair when I was in Junior High School. One day, as I was cutting my hair, I removed the clip to wipe off the hair, and forgot to put the clip back on. I left a huge bald spot on my head that looked like the splitting of the Red Sea. I ran to the barber to get this fixed up, and he made me look like a Gregorian monk. That Sunday, I was asked to testify in church that this was a mistake, so none of the other young boys would make a fashion out of it. As luck would have it, Pastor Don was in church that day. I said my testimony with my stomach in my throat, and shivered my way back to my seat all the way in the back of the church. Pastor Don walks up to the pulpit and calls me back up. He then placed his hand around my shoulders, and proceeded to ask the congregation to stand up and pray for my foolishness. Yes, confessions of a teenage nut!

A tel God tenki that this haircut didn't turn out to be another mishap.

2 Comments:

At 3:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben,

Keep up the info if you can afford it. It is good to hear about Africa. Could you pass my greetings to Sister Sheila Akung in Freetown. Tell her it is from a tripela manki that em i save nogut tru. Mipela betim long em olgeta time nau mipela no lusim tingthing nau likem em tumas. Tenku tru.

a friend in the field

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger bthomas24 said...

She had a hard time trying to figure out who you were. I am not sure if she is positive about the identity. You might want to give better clues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home