Wednesday, August 24, 2005

working out: body & soul

Good Lord Almighty! Running in Africa is quite different from running along the paved, shaded Pelham Parkway in the Bronx. The evening sun seems just as strong as it was at mid-day. The path - any path you choose will never be flat and straight. Normally, back home, I am used to a combination of running and walking for about 3 miles. Kenneth has been running the entire stretch of about 6 miles since he was young and thinks nothing of it. For him, walking is resting. We went up Main Motor Road, stayed right at the fork towards Murray Court road, over the Aberdeen bridge (the longest bridge in Sierra Leone), uphill past the Sierra Leone Secondary School to Aberdeen village, along beach road going past Aberdeen beach and Lumley beach, to the end of Lumley beach. We then turned around, came back along Lumley beach, cut into beach road, turned left into Wilkinson road, and back to Main Motor Road. The entire stretch was almost 6 miles. It has been some time since I ran and so it was mostly walking, and some running. The walking alone is quite the workout. Walking uphill, downhill, tripping over large rocks on the unpaved roads, balancing yourself at the edges of gutters when your forced to the edge of the road by poda-podas pulling over to pick up or drop off passengers, dodging taxi doors swinging open, and other passers-by.

Kenneth was very considerate and polite. I apologized for interruting his running routine by choosing to walk. He said he was not doing this for himself but he was doing it for me, and he is happy to do whatever I choose to do. If I trip and hop over a piece of scrap metal on the road, he will ask me if I am alright and tell me to take my time. The kindness is all too much. As for me, I don't think much of any of it and I am quite happy to live the rough life. We went past some very bad roads in the dark and he said that the road might be too much for me. I said I would be alright and he was surprised to hear that. By the grace of God, I made it through the entire stretch without a hitch. We began the routine at 5 PM and returned at 8 PM. By 7, the roads were very dark and there are no street lights. (Speaking of lights, since I arrived in Salone, NPA [National Power Authority] has supplied us electricity for three days at about 30 minutes for each of those three days). I think it was a great breaking in. My legs are sore, and my chest cavity hurts a bit, but it's the nature of breaking into the habit again.

There has been a change of plans. I've been told that I will not be teaching in the school anymore. I will be sent to Waterloo to help with the work there, remain there for a few months, travel to Bo, Shenge, and elsewhere. I am not entirely sure of the details. Whatever it may be, I know I made the choice to take a year out of my life to do something good, and I am sure God will honor that.

Certain things have caused me to feel a bit different, you could say. In Philippians 2:14, it says: "Do all things without murmurings and disputings..." I am trying to practice that in my life, but my problem is my open, blunt honesty. I often open my mouth and speak what I feel inside, rather than overlooking because that would make me feel hypocritical. Should I keep my mouth shut for the sake of peace and to please others? I was thinking about this this evening, and came across Galatians 1:10: "For do I now persuade men or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ." Verses 11 and 12 clearly states that what Paul teaches, and what he learned, he did not learn from man, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. However I am always quickly reminded of my pride when I question things. So you see? Here is my predicament. I need quite a bit more of your prayers because though I am quickly reminded of my transgressions, pride, arrogance, etc, and I accept it to be so, I also know I am redeemed. I continued to ponder on my habit of questioning, and not always accepting upfront what I'm told. I came across Romans 3 quite by accident. Verse 3: "For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? 4, God forbid: yea let God be true, but every man a liar... 7, For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?" The entire chapter was interesting so I resolved to read the entire book (of Romans) soon. I also know that in I Corinthians 10:12, it says: "Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall." So do keep me in your prayers as people are many times much more rougher than the terrain out here. I am sure I'll be alright. It's that faith that continues to keep me going. I am learning.

Mommy Dupigny (her name is spelled Ryllia) is weak again, but much better than she was a few days ago. David hasn't called to let us know he arrived in London. I am sure he should be alright.

Last night, I got a hold of some Q-Tips...you don't want to hear the rest of that story. I think I shall invest in some.

I went to vist a friend Philip's house today. He lives with his mother and father in a shack that's about 10 ft x 15 ft. There is of course no electricity and no wiring. It's located somewhere in the middle of a hill and you have to walk downhill to get to the place. There is one dilapidated bed in the corner of which is their closet. The toilet and bath are located in a seperate, much smaller shed and there is no plumbing. God bless these people! And they don't complain about anything! They're happy. The father always has a smile from ear to ear and his eyes crinkle up at the edges when he smiles. Beautiful hearts.

Happy Birthday Leah and Mickey. I haven't forgotten you!

4 Comments:

At 4:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[raising hand] How do you pronounce Dupigny? Could you take pictures of the people you mention in your posts? Also did you decide on where we should send money if we want to help?

-Kitty

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger bthomas24 said...

HAHA. You spelled it right. I wish I had. I planned on it but it never happened. Now Mr. Ayo is back in London. You'll see Mommy Dupigny in the bull pics that I will try to get to you.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger bthomas24 said...

Oh I get it. It's spelled right in this post. I know that earlier in one of the updates, I spelled it as Reela. Her first name is what we're talking about.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

silly, of course I spelled it right ;) we know why. but I need an audio with sounded-out pronounciation of her name cuz I think I can say every other name and word but hers has me duped!

-Kitty

 

Post a Comment

<< Home