Wednesday, March 01, 2006

off to a developed desert

I have left the Third World. My continued journey has led me to Kuwait, a country with one of the highest GDP's in the world. To put that in perspective, an haircut costs KD1, massage included. That's just 1 Kuwaiti Dinar. They don't do the tapering up job too well, but it works for now. A haircut in London cost me £10. Upon landing, everything looked familiar; the roads, the road signs, the cars. It's America with a better economy. They drive on the right side of the road, and the driver sits on the left side of the car, and that's a breath of fresh air compared to the confusion in Britain. Since I only arrived last night at 7PM, there's not much I can say just yet except that this place is an extension of India with the Infrastructure of America. Outside, every where I've turned, I've seen Indians speaking in their native languages. I see posters and flyers in Malayalam, Tamil, and Hindi. In the airport, a gentleman had a one way conversation with me in Urdu. I understood only a few words (because of the similarity to Hindi), and I told him so, but he kept on anyway.

My uncle lives in an apartment with his family. It's a modest little place, and the toilet reminds me of India. It's a small stand up shower stall with no covering to contain the water. So the entire bathroom is wet when you have a shower. The commode, sink, and washing machine take up the rest of the space in the toilet. Yet, they have faucets that dispense a controllable mixture of hot and cold water which is a deviation from the Third World standards of some of Britain's W.C.'s (I think it stands for Washing Closets or Water Closets). Let me explain as I failed to do so while I was in Britain.

I recall just two years ago, when I was in Lancashire, England on a business trip. I stayed at the Preston Marriott - a very high class hotel. I think it used to be a royal manor before it was converted into a hotel. At such a posh place, I came across sleek brass faucets on either side of the sink; one to dispense hot water, and one to dispense cold. I am supposed to plug the drain, and fill up the sink with warm water so I can wash my face. That's the British way. I chalked it off to Lancashire being the country side, but I forgot that at my aunts place in London, England, it's not much different. Sure, they've sorted it down to a single faucet dispensing a mixture of hot and cold water, but this is done by splitting up the single faucet into two halves. So if I were to cup my palms together under the faucet, one palm would be scalding while the other would be frozen. That's just a single example of why I feel Britain is so Third World. I have come across many Brits who feel the same way. "I just live here" exclaims one cousin, while the other is very upset with me because I "take the piss" out of her country. I used to involve myself in such debates and conversations with Brits who could handle the criticism; namely, my work mates at The Vine Project, and several random new friends I made while I was there. It's all in good, clean fun.

In England, I came across more drop-outs and delinquents than I ever have in all my life in The Bronx. Many young people are just not interested in, and cannot handle school. The classic BBC style, refined, clean, and noble English seems to be a thing of the past. If you attempt to understand what a group of kids on the street are speaking about, you're in for a surprise. (Now I understand that there are many different dialects of English in many parts of the world, and I appreciate language, but the British dialects along with the Australian, are a bit tough to understand.) Aside from all of the swearing, you'd wonder if it was English they were really speaking. It's a land full of Eliza Doolittles with just a dwindling population of Higgins and Pickerings. (Say it with me: "The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain".) Most of the refined are hired by the BBC ;). (This reminds me of the song I discussed on BlueRadius titled, "Why can't a woman be more like a man." I won't go any further. I'll safely leave that discussion alone. ;)) You get the sense that future generations in Britain will end up being degenerates and social misfits.

I did not travel around much in England though I had planned to. The volunteering kept me busy, and the weather was just too depressing. Towards the end of my stay, I wandered around a bit - mostly on my own. I dragged my cousin along to climb the 311 steps of the Monument built to commemorate the Great Fire of London. It's the tallest free standing Doric column in the world and stands at 160ft. We wandered along the South Bank and the London Eye. Never rode on the thing. I wandered alone into the Museum of Natural History, the Victoria and Albert Museum, and through Hyde Park. I was impressed with the architecture on the Natural Museum, and the Ironworks displays in V&A. I picked up a list of all the free museums in London, but never got to visit all of them. I did visit a public toilet in Hyde Park and was amused by tiles printed with a message providing information about Venereal Diseases. That was my last solo tour of London.

Aside from attending services in the Brixton church, I had the opportunity to visit the churches in Edgeware and Liverpool. I also attended the All Nations Revival Church with my cousin. They were a really wonderful group of people. A few of them took me out for bowling. My stay in London wasn't as exciting as I expected. A lot has changed since I last visited. Since this was my longest visit, I mostly felt I had overstayed my welcome. The Vine Project was my saving grace. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the folks there. I felt a sense of accomplishment after each day. Even on days I was sick and just could not wake up in the morning, and though all of my joints were in pain, I happily went into work. I will remember Keith, Graham, Alex, Suzanne, Jennie, Anna, Wendy, and many others who went out of their way to make me feel welcome.

I don't think I'll be volunteering here in Kuwait. I will remain here for a month, then travel to Delhi for two months. I hope to find some place to volunteer while in Delhi. From Delhi, I will return finally to U.S. soil. I will be in Dallas for a month before I return to the good old Bronx. Please do keep me in your prayers through all of my travels.

To my darling friends who wrote saying, "Dude, you must update your blog!": I hope to be inspired while in Kuwait and Delhi. I'll stay in touch.

To any of you know anyone in these places, or know any place that could use me while I am there, or know people who could show me around: Introductions please!

1 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Blogger mayenfeld said...

Dude, where are the pictures?;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home